As we move ahead in the new fiscal year 2019, I want to take a moment to recognize the hard work and success that we accomplished together in fiscal year 2018. In a time of transition for our ministry, each of you contributed to our success in many important ways.
Below are some of the key accomplishments that we achieved last fiscal year. We should all be very proud of the progress we have made, as these are all important components for our ongoing success together as we implement our RENEW 2018-2021 Strategic Plan.
Exceeded Our Goal for Employee Engagement
The performance across all remaining KentuckyOne Health operations in the Performance Culture Assessment (PCA) conducted this spring exceeded our goal in several ways.
- Overall, our organizational engagement score, which is tied to our Living Our Mission Measures, improved to 3.26 (out of 4) from the baseline of 3.18 achieved in 2016.
- We achieved a 73 percent participation rate, which is the highest response in the past five years.
- For every single survey question, we saw a positive trend in the scores as compared to our 2016 results.
Employee engagement is critical to our ongoing success and for our commitment to making this the most welcoming, supportive and positive environment to recruit and retain strong employees.
Improved Physician Engagement
Our physicians have remained dedicated through some challenging times, and their satisfaction with our hospitals continues to improve steadily. Of the many questions in our annual physician satisfaction survey, one of the most improved responses relates to the overall satisfaction with the hospital.
- In 2015, only 69 percent of physician respondents answered that they were either very satisfied or satisfied with their hospital.
- In the spring of this year, 86 percent answered positively to that question.
Patient Experience Improvement
Patient experience is a clear indicator of how we are performing to ensure that our most important customers – our patients – are highly satisfied with their care. In the past six months, we have seen significant improvement in our scores across our organization:
- Six-point improvement across all remaining operations.
- 10-point improvement at Saint Joseph Hospital.
The Patient Experience Playbook has been a helpful tool in delivering a consistent approach across our facilities. Through this work, we have maintained a commitment to listen to our patients, work collaboratively, and act on best practices, key words and actions which encourage a welcoming and patient-focused environment. As we continue to hardwire our Patient Experience Playbook, we will continue to see improvements across our facilities.
Our financial performance improved significantly this past year. The following are key successes:
- We realized a 53 percent improvement in EBIDA (Earnings Before Interest, Depreciation and Amortization) over the previous year, and a 3 percent decrease in expenses.
- We increased our year-over-year volume in outpatient surgery and visits, as the national trend moves toward a greater focus on outpatient care.
- We secured $15 million of capital for 2018 (to be used for technology and facility improvements) and more than $100 million capital commitment from CHI over the next three years (2019 – 2021).
As you know, patient experience, employee and physician engagement, and overall excellence in quality and safety are key factors in our financial performance.
Nearly 100 Leading Awards and Recognition Earned Across Remaining Operations
Throughout fiscal year 2018, we were recognized for expertise in many clinical areas and for excellence in care. A few highlights of these awards are listed below (the full list can be found here).
- Saint Joseph Mount Sterling, Saint Joseph London and Flaget Memorial Hospital were recognized with a Blue Distinction® Center for Maternity Care by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Kentucky.
- Saint Joseph London and Saint Joseph Hospital were accredited for cardiovascular and endovascular care by the Accreditation for Cardiovascular Excellence (ACE).
- Saint Joseph Hospital was recertified as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission and earned the Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for Stroke by American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.
- Saint Joseph East was recognized by The Surgical Review Corporation as a Center of Excellence in Robotic Surgery and Breast Care was awarded 3-year accreditation from American College of Surgeons.
- For the tenth year in a row, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Kentucky has recognized Saint Joseph East with a Blue Distinction® Center for Bariatric Surgery. Anthem also recognized Saint Joseph Hospital as a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement.
- The Infectious Diseases Society of America named Saint Joseph Hospital an Antimicrobial Stewardship Center of Excellence.
- Healthgrades named Saint Joseph Hospital one of the 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care.
- Our Lady of Peace and Flaget Memorial Hospital were both recognized as Best Places to Work on the 14th Annual Best Places to Work in Kentucky list.
- Our Lady of Peace received a Quality Award for its Long-Acting Injection (LAI) Clinic by the Kentucky Hospital Association (KHA).
- KentuckyOne Health Partners achieved Elite 5-Star status from America's Physician Groups (formerly CAPG), the nation’s leading professional association for accountable physician groups.
The Journey Continues into Fiscal Year 2019
Beginning with the pioneering mission of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth in 1877 more than 140 years ago, we must continue to honor their legacy by remaining focused on delivering the highest quality care in a compassionate setting.
Our future together is very strong, and I am pleased to recognize the major accomplishments of fiscal year 2018. I know that every day there are small acts of Reverence, Integrity, Compassion and Excellence that demonstrate our core values to those who rely on us, often in their most vulnerable time.
Thank you for all that you have done and continue to do for this ministry. Here’s to a great fiscal year 2018, and to an even stronger fiscal year 2019.